Thursday, April 19, 2012

Back home again

I got back from Fraser Island last weekend but the work that naturally piles up while you're out of town kept me busy all week. This is the first chance I've had to post...the mid Friday procrastination has kicked in! Time for some tea and toast.




Fraser was beautiful as usual. Great weather (mostly), great students (mostly) and beautiful midnight and dawn swims (the only time I could sneak away). Rejuvenating. I always come back from these trips feeling like science is the right path for me. Only trouble is when I spend the next three weeks stuck at a desk...then the dreams of the country return. 




One of my favourite quotes comes from Jonathan Safran Foer. "Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living”. How are you meant to pick just one life when there are so many amazing options out there? How do you stay satisfied with what you choose? How do you not get overwhelmed by all the things you want to do? I'm ok with minimising my want for 'stuff' but I struggle with the 'wanting to do too much  stuff' bit. Where is the balance?


No comments:

Post a Comment