Sunday, May 27, 2012

Out West



I arrived home last night after spending five days out west. It was both inspiring and exhausting. A few times a year I visit a state school in a small town called Cunnamulla with some other researchers to take science to the kids. Our goals are to: 1) get the kids to come to school, 2) get the kids to finish school, 3) get the kids to consider university as an option, and, 4) get them to consider science as a degree.

Cunnamulla State School is considered by Education Queensland as a disadvantaged school. There's a large percentage of indigenous students (86%) and attendance and compulsory test scores are lower than average. These kids are smart though, really smart. Sometimes I think they teach me more than I teach them. I only wish I could show you photos of the kids.


A fresh water turtle the kids found trapped between rocks at the Weir. We released him back into the Warrego.
The local flock of geese at the Weir.




No comments:

Post a Comment