Monday, March 26, 2012

Friends on blogs, the new pen pals?



The thing that surprised me most when I started blogging was the easy way in which people could become friends via blog commenting. I'd seen 'famous' bloggers write about hanging out with other famous bloggers and thought it'd never happen to me. I'm yet to actually meet any bloggers in real life but I have started to count some of them as friends. And it surprises me. It shouldn't. I was a big pen pal girl as a child and teenager. I found nothing strange about writing long, often quite personal, letters to people I'd never met on the other side of the planet. Blogging is really quite similar, but strangely, it still feels odd. Maybe it has the same strange stigma as internet dating. Another thing that shouldn't be embarrassing but ends up that way for some people. I have hesitated before telling my 'real' friends about my blog friends. Why? I am glad to count these people as friends, and I'm not ashamed of them...why do I hesitate? Why am I even writing this? Maybe by verbalising it I'm attempting to make myself feel better about it. I wonder if anyone else feels this way? 


Oh dear...Has this post ended up like one of those bloody Sex In The City monologues?

No comments:

Post a Comment