Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Papers papers papers


I have been working late these past two weeks to get a couple of papers ready for submission. They're two papers which will make up half of my PhD thesis and I've been working on them for some time now. I finally submitted one last Wednesday (this one had previously been rejected and needed some further polishing). And I'm about to submit the second. Well, I was until I realised I'd need a particular form emailed to me prior to submission. Bit of an anti-climax! I'm hopeful the American editors are on the ball and respond overnight. 

My reward to myself is a visit to Sydney this weekend, hopefully with sunshine. I had also planned to have my thesis review (a university required "milestone") completed by then - but alas, not to be. So I don't get to go to Sydney with an entirely guilt-free conscience. Then back to finish the next two papers...


I think that's the part I look forward to most in finishing this PhD - the removal of guilt. No matter what I'm doing, I'm always guilty that I'm not working on the PhD. It will be odd not to have that feeling!




Looking forward to some op shopping while in Sydney. Stay tuned for that when I return next week. I'll likely appear here to post during one of my bouts of procrastination.

2 comments:

  1. When I finished my master's degree it was the oddest feeling not to have any reading lists to be working on, no thesis to be editing, no meetings or classes to prepare for! It is definitely something to look forward to, but at the same time weird to no longer be able to tweak and perfect your thesis-- writing is definitely a craft unto itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should focus more on treating it like a craft - instead of a chore. A bit like baking. Once a cake is baked, it's baked. It will never be perfect but you just do your best. And I've spent too long mixing this batter! The analogy is perfect...

      Delete